At the corner between Rua de Entreparedes and Praça da Batalha (Batalha Square) stands the palace that belonged to the Fonseca Guedes family. It was built in the 18th century by José Anastácio da Silva Fonseca, married to Dona Joana Meireles Guedes de Carvalho, owner of Quinta da Aveleda, in Penafiel. Supporters of Dom Miguel, who lost the war, the family members fled the city to their country estate. Today, the farm produces large quantities of prestigious Vinhos Verdes.
During the Siege of Porto this building, today a renowned hotel in the city, was occupied by the Liberal army, serving as a hospital, to support the wounded during the civil war between 1832 and 1834. General Bernardo Sá Nogueira (later Marquis of Sá da Bandeira) was a patient here, during the conflict, having his right arm amputated in the aftermath of the battle of Alto da Bandeira, in Gaia.